Botswana has a decent network of tar roads connecting the main towns and cities the rest of the areas have either gravel or sand tracks of varying quality, on this page we will try and keep you up dated on what these conditions are and distances between places across Botswana.

Roads and Driving in Botswana

Botswana Travel
Booking Service


This website is owned by All Things Mos Travel cc trading as Madbookings

Travel to Botswana by Road:
Botswana is accessible by tarred road from South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Namibia. Vehicles are driven on the left hand side of the road. A valid international drivers license, along with vehicle registration documents, are required to drive in Botswana, and drivers should carry them at all times.

Major roads in Botswana are tarred and driving conditions are generally good. The main roads to establish areas are regularly graded. Four-wheel drive is required with traveling in the national parks and reserves, as well as in remote areas.

Car and four-wheel drive rental services ar widely available in major tourist centres, airport and hotels.

By Bus:
There are scheduled bus services across borders between Botswana and South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia and Zambia, as well as good internal bus services linking major and minor towns and villages across the country.

Getting around towns:
Taxis are normally a convenient way to get around in towns and are reasonably priced. They are easily identified in designated stations or can be contacted by telephone. Taxis to Gaborone are also avialable from Sir Seretse Khama International Airport.

Drivers Licenses:
Drivers are required to carry their licenses at all times. Licenses from neighbouring countries are accepted in Botswana. if not written in English, a certified written translation is required. International drivers licenses are accepted in Botswana.

Importation of Motor Vehicles:
Non-residents visiting Botswana and coming from a country outside the Southern African Common Customs Area for a limited period are normally required to produce a carnet or bill of entry (any duty liability thereon being secured by bond or cash deposit) in respect of their motor vehicles. For further information please contact Department of Customs.

Note: The Southern African Common Customs Area comprises Botswana, Lesotho, South Africa, Swaziland and Namibia.

Duty Free Allowances:
Customs duties are not charged on the following goods imported as accompanied or unaccompanied passengers baggage:

Wines - 2 litres

Spirituous* - 1 litres

Cigarettes - 200

Cigars - 20

Tabasco** 250gms

Perfume - 50ml

Toilet Water - 250ml

* Includes all other alcoholic beverages

** Includes cigarette and pipe tobacco

Note: Duty will be payable at the applicable rates when travelers import goods exceeding the above allowance. Travelers importing goods for business or commercial purpose will not qualify for the above allowances.

Importation of Goods:
The following consumer goods may be imported for private use without an import permit, provided they do not exceed the maximum allowable quantities.

Key: PP- per person, PF - per family.

Red meat, goat / lamb - 25kg PF
Poultry meat - 5kg PP
Tinned poultry meat - 20kg PP

Eggs - 36 eggs - PP
Fresh Milk - 2 litres PP

Maize / maize products - 25kg PP
Wheat - 25kg PP
Pulses (beans, peas, lentils) - 25kg PP
Sorghum / sorghum - 25kg PP

Cabbage, Onions, Potatoes, Oranges, Tomatoes, Chimolia, Ripe, Spinach - 1 bag PP

Bread Loaves 6 per week

Plants may be imported subject to plant and health restrictions, and South African transit permits may also be required in respect of plants shipped through South Africa.

Restricted Goods:
These are goods that can only be imported with a license or permit.

- Narcotic, habit forming drugs and related substance in any form
- Firearms, ammunition and explosives
- Indecent and obscene material such as pornographic books, magazine, films, videos, DVD's and software

Self Drive Camping:
Embarking on a camping trip in Botswana requires a good deal of planning and preparations. You will be going to remote areas, accessible only by for-wheel drive, where water, petrol or food may not be available.
You may often be driving on rough terrain, and through heavy sand, in conditions very different from those you ar used to.

As a general rule, take all food requirements to last your stay. Take at least 20 litres of water per person, preferably more; for desert destinations, carry between 50 and 100 litres. Carry at least 100 litres of petrol in long-range tanks or in metal jerry tins. Take spare vehicle parts for breakdowns.

As campsites within game reserves and national parks are usually not fenced, it is important for campers to take necessary precautionary measures to ensure their safety, and to abide by the information provided by wildlife officers.

The following basic camping rules should be strictly heeded:

- Only camp in designated campsites

- Always sleep in your tent, roof tent or vehicle. Make sure your tent zips up well.

- Don't sleep with legs or arms protruding from the tent.

- Use rubbish receptacles a the campsites, if there are non, carry away all rubbish until you get to the next town.

- Cigarette butts should be well extinguished and placed in a rubbish bag, not thrown on the ground.

- Make sure the campfire is well extinguished at the end of the evening, or after use and cover it with sand.

- Dont sleep on bridges or animal paths, particularly those of elephants an hippos

- Bury all faecal matter and burn all toilet paper.

- Dont bathe or drink from still bodies of water, there is the danger of bilhazia

- in the Okavango, dont swim in lagoons or streams, there is a danger of crocodiles an hippos

- Children must be constantly supervised. Never leave them alone in the campsite. Never allow children to nap on the ground or in the open.

- Dont stray far from the campsite, or walk in the bush, unless with a quantified guide.

The general rule of thumb for camping in botswana is take only memorised, leave only footprints.

In the Panhandle area of the Okavango, there are a number of camps and lodges that specialise in fishing excursions. Fishing can also be done on the Chobe River, outside the park. Fishing is only allowed in designated areas of the national parks, and only with an official permit.

Firewood is defined as wood that is both dead and fallen and which can be removed without the use of tools. Self-drive campers should use firewood sparingly and only when necessary.